Shining the spotlight on one of Crystal’s courageous security guards.
Security guards play an important role in keeping student accommodation halls safe and secure. This is because they are on the frontline and the first contact should anything goes wrong.
Recently, Makeda Lewis, one of Crystal’s amazing security guards, has made us very proud of her brave actions while on duty. We are very proud to announce that she has been nominated as a Crystal Heroe.
Student accommodation halls are often known as a safe and convenient alternative to renting privately while at University. Having a stress-free secure accommodation with fantastic social spaces, Wifi, on-site maintenance teams and 24/7 security makes this type of accommodation very attractive. However, it is important for providers to ensure staff are adequately trained should things go wrong.
Our Guards represent our company
At Crystal Facilities Management we offer continuous training to our staff and also our clients. The guards we select to represent our company are subject to intensive recruitment, and they are selected by a professional team, looking for very particular skills and attributes. This has previously been a great comfort to our clients, as they understand we hire solely on the basis that the candidates fit into our exact expectations.
Makeda is an ideal example of what crystal security guards strive to be. She has earned the respect of her colleagues, supervisors and managers. Her quick thinking and calm actions saved the day.
The following is an account of the incident and the order of events.
Initial call out: Room X called to report occasional loud cat noises in the corridor. The following investigation and action by the officer on site are as follows:
Security Officer attending: M.Lewis
Time on Site: 04:00
Order of events:
- One of the residence from the student accommodation called security regarding an incident in the hall.
- Makeda, our security guard on duty, attended the complaint immediately. Unfortunately, a student that was suffering from suspected intoxication, mental health or under the influence of illegal substances, attacked her. However she respondent with bravery and professionalism in dealing with the incident.
- Our security guard first attempted to communicate with the student from the corridor.
- While maintaining her distance from behind the door, she requested the student to calm down and called the police at 04:22 from her personal phone.
- The brave security guard was able to convince the student to walk down the stairs to the foyer, away from other student rooms as well as other objects that could have been used by the student to self-harm.
- The student remained calm and safe downstairs in the foyer. There was no need to use any force. Also, our security guard advised students entering and exiting the building to move quietly and not draw any attention towards the student.
- The police arrived on-site at about 05:00 am.
Makeda proved professionalism and carried the event through with bravery and courage and we are extremely proud of her.
Want to get in touch?
If you are looking for a security company for your student accommodation or business, please don’t hesitate to give us a call or contact us here.
We offer a range of security services such as security guards, reception cover, front of the house as well as key-holding services.
We currently hold SIA Approved Contractor Scheme (ACS) status for the provision of Security Guarding and key-holding.
Our commitment to delivering surpasses all of our clients’ expectations. You can be sure when choosing us you are in safe hands. We aim to provide premium quality security services at very competitive prices.
Also do check out our post – What does security mean to you and your business?